Sunday 27 November 2011

Moving to Lion - Install Log Part 2


Finally I got a firewire cable!!! Did not imagine that it was so hard to get one quickly. Had to stop at Maplin on my way home.
Even in London non of the shops I passed in victoria station or kentish town had none.

- Home now, installed version 2.3.2 of the ProFire 2626 drivers, shutdown the computer, switched on the Interface: no sound...
> had to switch through all the outputs in the router until I heard someting, but then again I suspect my Interface beeing weird since I unpacked it and it somehow does not sync the settings with the os... however, it works now. Does anybody has a later firmware of that thing but 1.0.10? Please comment if you have.

- back in Logic I started experimenting with buffer sizes, thread usage and sample rates. Forcing it to use all 4 threads makes it run a bit smoother.  switching the samplereate of the project to 96 khz does not cause any crackles with 4 sculpture instances, even though Logics CPU meter is haevily in the red at 128 buffer size. (this also reminds me how painfull the sample rate modifies sculpture presets, you really have to write the rate in the preset names to get the result you expect on recall). The problem with low sampling frequencies is that they introduce more latency.

- Next I connect a firewire cable to the second port of the profire and start up my old macbook in target disk mode to get my files from the old machine. I did not use migration assistant here because I want to be in control of the files transferred.

- moved my /Library/Application Support/Camel Audio/Alchemy files over.
> works, all presets showing up

- install overloud TH2 > works

- Drink a cup of tea > nice

- install AudioSpillage Drum Spillage > works

- install blue cat free pack > works

- install green oak crystal > works

- install TAL stuff > works

Thats it then... almost but I am too tired today to install toontracks SD 2 + Metal foundry, but I bet it will work as well.

Lion makes an overall great impression and the three finger drag is one of the best workflow improvements. What I miss on the trackpad is the 3rd click mode? How am I supposed to open links in a new tab? Do they really expect me hold a modifier key for clicks while surfing the web? Worse: Blender 3D is unusable without 3rd mouse button...better keep the mighty mouse arround then.
Also the M-Audio interface is not always switching the sample rates correctly. For example opening a song in logic with a different samplerate but the default one results in crackling logic playback while playing back a sound over the browser works flawless at the same time. Tascam interfaces seem to have the same issue. I suspect the lack of sandboxing awareness on the driver side again.

The move was definitively less hassle then moving to snow leopard and running stuff on a current computer was well worth the hassle.
I hope these logs help some of you out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment