I love Linux. I Love it for its liberties, the spirit and most: Raw performance!
It is just a pity that there is not more commercial software available for it, because it usually offers the best designed workflows.
Here is a list of 10 reasons that spring to my mind why one would like to run Linux. This is not an attempt to persuade anyone to ditch their current setup and go full on Linux. But an attempt to show that it has its place in media production outside of 3D Graphics and storage but also in Audio.
1. Realtime Kernel allows for ultra low latency, unmatched by any other OS!
2. The trinity of Jack Audio and ALSA, held together by Pulse allows you to route any audio or midi signal to any software inside your computer and over the network.
3. Linux can run on very old computers, this helps you reactivate unused boxes. I use a 10 year old laptop as additional synth!
4. DIN is noise, a fantastical and unique digital instrument.
6. Harrisson Mixbus
8. Korg Kronos. Yes, its all linux under the hood
9. Muse research Receptor. Again, a music dedicated Linux box to run your windows vsts on a lighting fast OS.
10. Graphical package managers. You think the appstore concept is new? Think again, in Linux this is ages old. Search, click install, thats it. You just never had to pay for packages.
There is a lot more to discover, just check out this wikipedia page:
Or just dive in and download a complete multimedia production suite FOR FREE!
Check these out: